Monday, October 8, 2007

Intrapreneurship: Anyday, Everywhere Entrepreneurship

I recently learned a new term that delights me: Intrapreneruship. Wikipedia defines an intrapreneur as "the person who focuses on innovation and creativity and who transform a dream or an idea into a profitable venture, by operating within the organizational environment." This delights me for two reasons. First, it steps outside the box that entrepreneurialism is typical placed in. Second, it describes much of my career in a word.

In my bio or my personal elevator pitch, you will frequently find the words "worked within an entrepreneurial environment for much of his career". Now I can just say "career intrapreneur" and be done with it. How great is that? I have not yet started my own high-growth entreprise. I will, later in life. But I have helped many people bring their dreams to fruition. Is that not entrepreneurship just as much as the founding father/mother? The fact of the matter is that entrepreneurial behavior is everywhere. It drives growth in every aspect of life. It is the foundation of evolution. We would not have the wheel or fire without entrepreneurial activity.

For us to package entrepreneurs in a box that says "Sole Proprietor", or "Start-Up", or "Small Business", or "Venture Capital" is completely missing the point. The fact of the matter is that our the word entrepreneur is like the word "snow", one word used to describe an entire variety of actions. The Inuit have more than four dozen words for "snow", each to describe a different type of snowing, or a different type of snow flake. Entrepreneurialism is the same. Here are just a few other words for entrepreneurs: Project Manager, Preacher, Farmer, Broker, Mother, Architect. Entrepreneurs are creators and innovators. They are people that drive change, create growth, and embrace progress. They are everywhere. They are our future.

Post-Script: Anytime that I discuss entrepreneurship in this blog, I am also directly referencing intrapreneurship. The founding principles are one in the same.

No comments: